PhD student (f_m_x) – Characterizing thermal geosystems (ThermoBase Project)
Reference Number 6612
The working group “Exploration of Thermal Geosystems” at GFZ searches for a PhD candidate to work on the ThermoBase project. The 3-year project will be jointly conducted with the Bundesanstalt für Geowissenschaften und Rohstoffe (BGR) and is aimed at characterizing and modelling the thermal field in sedimentary settings. The PhD candidate will conduct a comprehensive analysis of geothermal subsurface data in Germany. The candidate evaluates available temperature data for flow and climate signals, generates new thermal rock data, invents new methods for upscaling measured data from lab to field scale, and analyzes the impact of methodological developments on the accuracy of temperature predictions.
- Measurement and analysis of thermal rock properties under elevated pT conditions
- Statistical analysis and evaluation of subsurface temperature data in Germany
- Determination of new heat flow data for Germany
- Methodological development for the prediction of thermal rock parameters (e.g., core-log integration) using non-linear regression methods and machine learning approaches
- Writing of scientific publications
- Master's degree or equivalent in geosciences (geology or geophysics)
- Experiences with joint analysis of geological and geophysical borehole data
- Experiences with geostatistics and parameter models
- Experiences with geophysical lab work
- Skills in GIS and programming (advantageous)
- Communicative, interactive, creative, motivated
- Fluent in English (mandatory), German is advantageous
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Professional career advice offered by our in-house Career-Centre
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
- Working at the Albert Einstein science park on the Telegrafenberg in Potsdam
- Work place within walking distance of Potsdam main train station, or just a short ride on the shuttle bus
Fixed-term: 36 months
Salary: The position is classed as salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
Place of work: Potsdam
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at sbv[at]gfz-potsdam.de, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at gba[at]gfz-potsdam.de.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.