Software Engineer/ Developer for Seismology and Volcanology (f/m/x)
Reference Number 5544
Applicants are invited for a highly motivated advanced scientific software developer position to join our team and take the technical lead of our Wave Physics and Tool Development Lab on a tenure track position. The post includes the development and maintenance of open source software tools and processing solutions of waveform data, including real-time data acquisition systems. Our innovative developments are dedicated to full waveform and large data processing, methods of synthetic wavefield generation and efficient database handling, user platform developments and novel inversion and optimization techniques. The candidate can build on decade-long experience in seismological high-end scientific software development in collaboration with the UPCODES Lab (University of Potsdam Code Development for Seismology) with a flagship project as the Pyrocko ecosystem as one example.
Your responsibilities and opportunities:
- Technical lead of the software development in our Wave Physics and Tool Development Lab
- Design and implement scientific software tools in close cooperation with scientists and students
- Maintain and troubleshoot existing tools
- Write documentation for newly developed and existing tools
- Build and maintain continuous integration and deployment workflows for our open source developments
- Automate analysis procedures for seismic, DAS, GPS, InSAR and other geophysical data
- Develop software for data analysis as well as user-friendly interfaces for existing codes
- Monitor real-time systems and online services and minimize down-times
- Assist in maintenance of data-acquisition systems
- Interact with software users in the section and worldwide to gather details on existing bugs and desirable improvements
- Produce functional specifications and designs in response to requirements for changes to software products or for new and custom developments
- Develop and test software products to meet agreed requirements
- Provide software training for our staff members and students
- Review code contributions of coworkers and collaborators
- Contribute to field work and data acquisition activities
- MSc in Geophysics/Physics/Informatics/Software Engineering
- Advanced knowledge in multi-language programming and open source tool development, strong skills in Python and C or Rust
- Preferably geophysical/seismological background and familiar with toolboxes as e.g. Pyrocko, ObsPy, GMT
- Preferably experiences in continuous multichannel data processing
- Demonstrated experience in multiple operating systems, primarily Linux
- Experience in system administration
- Good written and oral skills in English
Fixed-term: 2 Jahre (mit der Option auf Entfristung)
Salary: The position is classed up to pay group 13 according to TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost). The salary group is determined on the basis of the Collective Wage Agreement and the respective personal qualifications.
Working hours: Vollzeit (derzeit 39 h/Woche); Die Stelle ist grundsätzlich teilzeitgeeignet.
Place of work: Potsdam
What we offer:
- Ambitious and varied tasks in a dynamic and international research environment
- State-of-the-art equipment
- Public service benefits
- Extensive training opportunities
- Flexible working hours and conditions
- Support with finding a good work-life balance offered by benefit@work
- Institute day-care centre on site
Have we piqued your interest?
Diversity and equal opportunities are integral components of our human resources policy. The GFZ actively promotes diversity and explicitly welcomes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of ethnic and social origin, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion/belief, age and physical characteristics. Anyone who has been recognized as severely disabled, will be given preferential consideration in the event of equal suitability and qualification in accordance with the provisions of the German Social Code IX. If you have any questions, please contact our representative for the severely disabled at firstname.lastname@example.org, who will be happy to assist you in the further application process. In case of further queries regarding gender equality, please do not hesitate to contact our Equal Opportunities Officer at email@example.com.
Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of conducting the selection procedure on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 b, Art. 88 GDPR in conjunction with Art. 26 of the Data Protection Act for the State of Brandenburg. After completion of the procedure, application documents will be deleted in compliance with data protection regulations.